Fear is an emotion that exist when we believe that there is impending danger, evil, pain, death, etc whether that belief is real or imagined. In today’s world, fear is very prevalent and can become detrimental to our progress in life. Fear can drain your energy, create both psychological and physiological issues and if left unaddressed, it can change your self image. Confucius once stated that “the way of the superior person is threefold: virtuous, they are free from anxieties; wise they are free from perplexities; and bold they are free from fear.” Fear can develop subconsciously as the result of what we choose to indulge in such as television programs, movies, music and even conversations. Most people hold on to fear because the emotion becomes part of who they are. Living in fear can be paralyzing but there are steps that you can take that will aide you in overcoming your fears:
1. Awareness – Recognize the negative impact that fear is having on your life and understand that it doesn’t define who you are.
2. Identify – Acknowledge the drivers of your fear; understand your triggers.
Journaling – Writing your fears down on paper will help you to think through them.
3. Life Coach – A qualified life coach can assist you with examining your desires in life and where your fears derive from.
4. Positive thinking - Focus on what is right instead of what could possibly go wrong.
5. Gratitude – When you feel the emotion of fear, look at your life and find something to be grateful for.
6. Talking – We all hold in negative thoughts but have that one person with whom you can be transparent with sharing your fears.
7. Diet – We truly are what we eat. Clean eating has many physiological and psychological benefits.
8. Hypnosis – In some cases, this will allow you to rid your mind of negative thoughts.
9. Exercise – Endorphins are released when we exercise that interact with the receptors in your brain that reduce the stress hormone triggering a positive feeling in your body.
10. Prayer / Meditation – Great way of cleansing mentally and seeking guidance from a higher power.
QUOTES ON FEAR
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” H.P. Love Craft
“The enemy is fear. We think it is hate; but, it is fear.” Gandhi
“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.” Dale Carnegie
“Forgive yourself for your faults and your mistakes and move on.” Les Brown
“There is no illusion greater than fear.” Lao TZU
“False Evidence Appearing Real”. Author Unknown